Last night, having reached my annual limit on the amount of information I require about the functioning of the Panama Canal, I switched away from the National Geographic channel, and an advertisement I surfed by caught my eye. It showed a little pink knitted baby bootie, which then started coming unraveled, with ominous, pounding music in the background. I thought to myself, WTF? Then three women's hands entered the shot and piled up on top of the unraveling bootie, stacked in "go team" style. The bootie re-emerged, fully knitted again. It was in Hindi, so I couldn't tell what it was about until the final frame came up and it said in English:
FEMALE FOETICIDE IS A CRIME
Here is an article that goes into depressing detail, including this:
In Salem district, for instance, signs posted in towns reinforce the societal message: "Pay 500 rupees and save 50,000 rupees later," a suggestion that aborting a female fetus now could save a fortune in wedding expenses in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment