Sunday, September 07, 2008

six (million) degrees of separation


I was just listening to an audio commentary on season 5 of The Wire, and the commentators said something about how Lance Reddick (who plays Cedric Daniels) was a classically trained musician, and that he'd studied piano at Oberlin. I got all excited because (a) Lance Reddick as Daniels is possibly the sexiest man on television, and (b) I'm pretty sure we are about the same age, and (c) *I* studied piano at Oberlin. So I ran to consult the internets to find out whether we'd been at Oberlin at the same time. I am not sure how I thought that would help me in any way now, except maybe to make me more likely to attend a class reunion, but still, I wanted to know.

Since season 5 centers in large part around getting one's facts right, it was kind of funny to discover that (according to his own web site) Reddick studied at Eastman, not Oberlin, and he studied composition, not piano. So, there went that theory. But then I read a little further and discovered he'd gone to the Yale School of Drama and graduated in 1994, which means we were in New Haven at the same time (I arrived for non-drama grad school in '93). Do you see what this means? LANCE REDDICK AND I ARE PRACTICALLY BEST FRIENDS!! I'm pretty excited about it.

2 comments:

Case said...

i still totally have dibs on season 5 whe n you are finished :D

Unknown said...

He's, like, the Amazing Mr. Creeperson on my favorite show (Lost). We don't really know what he's up to yet. Of course, that's true for every character on Lost.

This just in: He's in the show I just started DVRing last night (Fringe).