Saturday, August 04, 2007

banns of veganism


I have decided that I need to get back on the vegan wagon, as difficult as that may be given that EVERY DAMN THING THEY EAT OVER HERE HAS SOME KIND OF DAIRY PRODUCT IN IT. You have to assume that anything in a restaurant was prepared with ghee (clarified butter) instead of vegetable oil, so as a vegan you are kind of screwed. And if it doesn't have ghee, it has yogurt or cream. You may also recall my mentioning earlier in these pages that I have developed an Advanced Paneer Disorder, a malady now paralleled in severity by a Pitiless Ice Cream Affliction. Miss Karen simply should not be allowed unfettered access to dairy products, let's leave it at that.

It is actually pretty easy to be egg-free here (they call this "pure veg" or "100% veg," and entire restaurants are often restricted to such food), but veganism is essentially unheard of, and good luck trying to convey that kind of dietary restriction to a waiter. If anything they think you are asking whether something has ghee in it because of course you must WANT there to be ghee, as ghee is ever so very delicious and what sort of crazy person would want ghee-free food?

This is the boringest post ever, but I am going to publish it anyway because I want it to be public knowledge that I AM VEGAN AGAIN AS OF RIGHT NOW. (I would have started this morning, except Gina left me her last couple of Hello Kitty Meow-Berry Pop Tarts, and I'm only human for crying out loud.)

3 comments:

Miss Karen said...

"Miss Karen simply should not be allowed unfettered access to dairy products, let's leave it at that."

You and me both, sistah. We should start the Miss Karen Dairy Ban, which would be like a dairy barn but way less yummy.

lorims said...

"ghee" means "shit" in Bastaki. (I'm not sure it's spelled that way, though) does that help?

(Bastaki is the language in which "Seg" means "dog")

Alex said...

The ghee this is also great for those of us non-vegans who have dairy allergies.

Isn't anyone in this county lactose intolerant, at least?